At today's EA Showcase, which was streamed live courtesy of Gamespot and Livestream, Fernando Melo presented us with a first look at Dragon Age 2's upcoming story-based DLC entitled "Legacy." The presentation with gameplay footage, trailer, screencaps, screenshots, and important points are collected and summarized after the break.
The official Dragon Age 2: Legacy trailer was released simultaneously with the showcase, however it was not included in the presentation itself.
Targeted by a vicious criminal cartel that are hunting "the blood of the Hawke," you must put an end to their relentless attacks. Leave Kirkwall, and journey to an ancient Grey Warden prison in order to find the source of the aggression and uncover the harsh truth about the Hawke lineage. Playable from any point in the DAII campaign, face all new darkspawn, forge a powerful new weapon and come face to face with an ancient horror.
These are the official screenshots featured in the presentation and on the official Legacy DLC page.
EA Showcase Video
The Dragon Age 2: Legacy presentation begins 45 minutes into the video, and the gameplay footage begins after 47:30. If you'd like, you can download the video at Gamespot.
- Release Date: July 26, 2011
- Pricing: $10 or 800 BioWare/Microsoft Points
- Legacy is characterized as a "major story-based dlc."
- focuses on the story behind the Hawke family, in particular, Hawke's father
- New Areas
- There is no reuse of Kirkwall. We already know that the setting for this DLC is the Vimmark Mountains, based on the XBox achievements that were leaked.
- There will be an ancient subterranean area that served as a Grey Warden prison.
- New Monsters and Monster Abilities
- new major boss that the Grey Wardens have kept secret for a millennium. Judging from the filename of the official screenshot of the boss, his name may be Corypheus (which means "leader" in Greek).
- Genlock Alphas make a comeback from Dragon Age: Origins
- Pride demons get new abilities
- New Tactical Challenges
- Creatures use their environments better, e.g. ambushes at choke holds, ranged enemies attempt to maintain distance.
- In the demo, a Genlock Alpha was using a massive shield to negate frontal damage.
- Your party returns. Judging from the composition of your party in the gameplay footage, you will be able to bring your regular party members from Dragon Age 2 on this new adventure. The demo featured Merrill, Varric, and Aveline accompanying Hawke.
- Hawke will obtain a special weapon, which varies by class and preferred weapon style, that can be imbued with permanent bonuses of your choice. This weapon persists beyond the DLC, allowing you to use it in your main Dragon Age 2 game and all future story DLC.
These are some screen caps of the gameplay portion of the presentation: