Just a reminder, PS3 owners can pick up Mass Effect 2 starting tomorrow, 1/18. It will retail for $59.99, compared to $19.99 for the standard editions on PC and XBox 360. However, in addition to the main campaign, you'll also be getting some bonuses to make up for coming to the game a year late. Here's a look at what you'll be getting in addition to the main game.
Updated Graphics Mass Effect 2 for the Playstation will run on the Mass Effect 3 engine. In other words, this will be the best looking version of Mass Effect 2, and will give you a taste of what's to come graphically in the series' finale.
Downloadable Comic Bioware has teamed up with Dark Horse Comics again to include an interactive comic bringing you up to speed on the Mass Effect story. The comic, titled Mass Effect Genesis, will take you through the main story of ME1 (unavailable on PS3 due to publisher restrictions) and allow you to make 6 key decisions that will carry over. Genesis will be available for free on launch for PS3 owners.
Additional Campaigns The three downloadable campaigns released after the game's launch will be included for free on the ME2 disc for PS3 owners. These include:
- Kasumi - Stolen Memory - this pack includes a new companion, the master thief Kasumi Goto, and her loyalty mission, which includes a new sub-machine gun.
- Overlord - A really nice pack of additional missions where Shepard must travel to an overrun Cerberus facility and stop a rogue VI before it finds a way to infiltrate the galactic net.
- Lair of the Shadow Broker - The first in a trilogy of DLC campaigns to bridge the story between ME2 and ME3, Shepard reunites with Liara T'Soni to invade the headquarters of a nefarious information broker.
DLC Packs Like every new copy of ME2, you will get a redeemable code for the Cerberus Network. However, with the PS3 version you will also be getting some additional DLC for free:
- Cerberus Network - Included with every new copy of Mass Effect 2, this unlocks free bonus content such as a downloadable companion, Zaeed Massani, and his missions; and the Cerberus Assault Armor, a set that gives bonuses to health, shield strength, and heavy ammo capacity.
- Blood Dragon Armor - a promotional armor set included for free with new copies of Dragon Age: Origins, this armor gives bonuses to shield strength and power damage, making it useful for classes that rely less on weaponry, such as the Adept and Sentinel.
- Additional DLC packs - Bioware will be working on PS3-exclusive DLC packs to bring players up to speed with what's available on the PC and XBox 360 market. These will likely be the weapons and armor packs, and perhaps the Alternate Appearance Pack, which is vital to the experience.
Limited Time Offer (Expires February 23rd) Also, for a limited time, the Terminus Weapon and Armor pack will be available for free on the PSN. Between tomorrow and 2/23, This armor and weapon pack will be downloadable for free through the PSN. Afterwards, it will be paid DLC. This pack features an armor set with bonuses to shield strength, sprint speed, and reserve ammo capacity, and a heavy weapon.
All this stuff you can get on day one when you buy Mass Effect 2 on the PS3.